Generally, “if you want to reduce your belly fat, you’ll need to burn more calories (energy) than you consume, and eat the right kinds of food”, explains Bupa.
To achieve this, the health body says to try to eat at least five portions of fruit and veg each day, and include higher-fibre starchy foods in meals.
It also advises:
- Have some reduced-fat dairy or soya drinks fortified in calcium
- Eat more beans, pulses, fish and eggs
- Eat small amounts of unsaturated oil
- Drink six to eight glasses of water each day
- Avoid adding salt or sugar to your meals.
“And finally, cut out sports drinks, sugar sweetened drinks and other foods that have a lot of added sugar in them.”